Cajun Style Fish Breading/Batter Mix
(0) Write a review
Cajun Style Breading/batter is an authentic New Orleans style recipe with a crisp texture and zesty flavor that brings out the best in your favorite foods.
ENRICHED BLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, ENRICHED YELLOW CORN MEAL (CORN MEAL, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), SALT, LEAVENING (SODIUM BICARBONATE, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), DRIED WHEY, SPICE EXTRACTIVE, GARLIC POWDER, SUGAR, BUTTERMILK SOLIDS, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, POTATO FLOUR, ONION POWDER, SPICES, DEXTROSE, NATURAL FLAVOR, CORN STARCH, HYDROLYZED SOY PROTEIN, EXTRACTIVES OF PAPRIKA.
Prep: 6 Min.
Cook: 6 Min.
1 pound fish fillets, thawed
1 egg, beaten or ¼ cup of milk (optional) cooking oil, enough to cover fish as specified
½ cup Shore Lunch® Cajun Style Fish Breading/Batter Mix
For Pan Frying
- Cut fillets into 4" pieces and pat dry.
- Pour oil into a large skillet and preheat oil to 350°F. Use a thermometer to ensure that the oil reaches 350°F.
- Place dry batter mix and egg or milk into separate shallow bowls.
- For best results, moisten fish pieces in egg or milk and immediately dredge in dry batter mix, pressing to coat all sides thoroughly.
- Carefully place fish pieces in preheated oil. Oil should cover fish pieces about halfway. Avoid overcrowding.
- Fry each side until done, about 2-3 minutes, turning once. Fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork.
- Remove cooked fish pieces from oil and drain on paper towels. For the crispiest texture, let fish stand for 1-2 minutes before serving.
For Deep Frying
- Pour oil into a large Dutch oven or deep fryer to a depth that allows fish pieces to float while cooking. Dutch oven or deep fryer should be no more than 1/3 full of oil. Heat oil to 375°F.
- Prepare fish as directed above and fry until done, about 3-5 minutes. Fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork.
- Drain on paper towels and let fish stand for 1-2 minutes before serving.
Note: 1 (9-ounce) box of Shore Lunch Cajun Style Breading/Batter coats about 5 pounds of fish. Use 4 eggs, beaten or 1 cup of milk when using the entire box. Try the Cajun Style Breading/Batter Mix to make a delicious Beer Batter (coats 5 pounds of fish): Dust fillets with ½ box of dry Shore Lunch Cajun Style Breading/Batter Mix. For best results, place mix in resealable plastic bag, add fillets and shake until coated. In a medium bowl, combine remaining dry batter mix with 1 cup of beer. Add more beer if necessary. Mix thoroughly; the resulting batter should be thin. Dip dusted fillets in batter, and then carefully place in preheated oil. Fry as directed above.
SHIPPING CHANGES: Due to new sales tax rules in the state of Colorado, effective June 1, 2019, purchases made online through JAX Mercantile for customers in the state of Colorado will only be able to be shipped to addresses within JAX current tax jurisdictions in Fort Collins, Loveland, Lafayette, and Broomfield. Customers in the state of Colorado who do not have shipping addresses within these zip codes may still opt for in-store pickup at any JAX store location when making a purchase on the JAX website. Learn more on our shipping and returns page.