4723 West Lincoln Way
Ames, IA 50014
Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM
Saturday: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Sunday: 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
JAX Outdoor Gear in Ames, Iowa:
Many area residents recall the early days of JAX Outdoor Gear, when it was known as Ames Surplus, a small military surplus store on the west side of town. Over sixty years and several additions later, JAX is all that the Ames Surplus was and much more. Today, JAX occupies two buildings, filled with over 21,000 square feet of quality, named brand merchandise, gear, footwear and apparel for the active lifestyle, the outdoor enthusiast, the sportsperson, and anyone who appreciates quality merchandise and personal assistance from a friendly and knowledgeable staff.
Store Services and Amenities:
- Outdoor Clothing
- Camping and Hiking Equipment
- Hunting Equipment and Licenses
- Fishing Tackle and Licenses
- Athletic Equipment
- Military Surplus
- Scouting Supplies
Gear rental, repair & upkeep:
- Archery Lane & Full Service Shop: Both Service and repair. A 20 yard indoor archery lane is available for $5 per session. Annual passes available. Must have your own equipment.
- Canoe and Kayak Rental-in store: Rent canoes and kayaks during store hours, May through October. $30 per day/single kayak. $40 per day/tandem kayak and canoe. Includes paddles, PFDs, and car topping equipment.
- Canoe, Kayak and Stand-up Paddleboard Rental - at Ada Hayden Lake: 11:00 am to 5:00 pm Saturdays and Sundays - Memorial Day thru Labor Day. Canoes and kayaks are $10 for 1/2 hour, $13 for one hour. SUPs are $15 for one hour. Paddles and PFDs included.
- Cross Country Ski Rental: Skis, boots, and poles are available for rental - $20/day.
- Snowshoe Rental: $15/day - adult sizes only.
- Glove Re-Lacing and Restoration: Baseball and softball gloves - $10 and up. No glove is too old!
- Skate Sharpening: Figure and hockey skates - $6.