Chick, Chick, Duck? How to Raise DucklingsPosted by Hallie Craig | 04.04.2016
It’s not your ordinary game of duck, duck, goose when you have multiple chicks and a couple ducks in your coop.
When you came to JAX for your 2016 flock, you were probably buying chicks and saw how cute the ducklings were and got them too! Maybe you're like me and you've always wanted a duck for a long time but your significant other told you no ducks, then you brought one home anyway.
Regardless of how it happened, here's some tips on how to care for your ducklings.
Ducks Love Water!
- Ducklings love the water and they love to play in it too. You can put your ducklings in the sink when when they are roughly 2 weeks old. Be sure to keep an eye on them, their waterproof feathers aren't quite in yet.
- Make sure the water is warm, you don't want them to get cold.
- Start out with 10 minutes everyday, then increase slowly to about 45 minutes at a time until they are ready to live outside.
Friends - You've Got a Friend in Me
- Similar to most animals a duck needs another duck, so they need to be raised in pairs, just like chicks.
- Duckling and chicks coexist really well with chicks and can be raised in the brooder.
It's California Hot!
- Ducklings produce a lot of heat on their own but they still need to heat lamp to keep them warm. Also, Chicks love cuddling with ducklings to stay warm.
- Hold your Ducklings, a lot! They may be shy, but the more you handle them the more social and kind they will be.
- Be sure to give them cute names!
Food, Food and more Food!
- Ducks grow faster than chicks, be prepared with another feed for formulated for them.
- Make sure there is a constant supply of food for them as well as fresh drinking water.
- The best feed for your ducklings is Purina Flock Raiser. Purina Flock Raiser offers optimum nutrition for your mixed flock. This 20%-protein nutrient-rich feed provides starting, growing and finishing nutrition for broiler/meat birds or a mixed flock of chickens, ducks and geese from hatch until laying age. For turkeys from 8-10 weeks until laying age of 30-32 weeks.
Simple ingredients with no animal by-products or fillers added, no artificial preservatives and no antibiotics. Flock Raiser supports your birds immune health with probiotics, prebiotics and yeast.